This spot is important, as it adds to the splendor of the city. In an extensive area and at the heart of the town, the garden proudly stands. The building was erected during 1872-1876. The specialty is a grand hall and small rooms with pointed roofs. This part is under Maharashtra Govt. and there is a museum of historical things.
We can see things dug out from Brahmapuri, ancient idols, grand wall-pictures by celebrated painters, things of art, ancient coins, Embroidered things, fans, dresses, statues, sandal idols, swords, spears, guns, helmet, pistols are arranged attractively.
In these premises there are Govt. offices, Courts, Govt. Hospital, Semi-Govt. offices, Telephone office, Main office of the Daily 'Pudhari' etc., So that the premises are constantly crowded. There is a grand fountain, tank, trees, creepers, flowering trees and Mahadeva Mandir in the garden.
The best feature of interest in the city is the Town Hall Kolhapur Museum (Monday closed) on Bhausingji Road, 1km north of the Temple. This sober Neo-gothic structure was built as the Town Hall in 1872-76 by Charles Mant. This is his first creation in Kolhapur, the only building in pure Neo-gothic style. The frontal porch of the Museum is flanked by towers with steeply pyramidal metal roofs. Two European cannons are on display here; the example dated 1609 is engraved with a relief of the god Mars.
The Museum houses Satavahana-period items discovered in excavation at nearby Bramhapuri Hill. They include figurines of the Greek god Poseidon, riders on an elephant, and a medallion with Hellenistic figures (replica only).Pottery fragments, coins and beads from Bramhapuri are also shown. Graceful female musicians are among sculptures rescued from the Mahalaxmi Temple.The finest sculpture is female attendant bearing a fly-whisk from Panhala. A bronze bell displayed here was brought from Vasai in 1739 to be installed in the Mahalaxmi Temple. The raised gallery at one end of the Museum is given over to arms. The Chhatrapati Pramila Raje Hospital, opposite the Museum, was built by Mant in 1881-84. Its entrance porch has exuberant Corinthian columns with monkeys and demonic heads incorporated into the arches above.